Thursday, 22 October 2015

New York Diary Part 3: Favourite places in Manhattan


Oh, New York. It seems like a long time ago now; the sunshine, the heat of the subway, the yellow taxis, delicious coffees and best cherry pie a girl could ask for. Here are a few places we loved in the heart of the city that never sleeps.


1. The High Line
One my first trip to NY I don't think this was even open to the public but it was high on my list on this trip having heard good things from friends. And it didn't disappoint! We spent our first full day walking the High Line in the sunshine and it's such a great way to explore the city by foot. What views! Also a trip to Bubby's at the end is highly recommended.






2. New York Public Library
The shop is a book lover's dream (I thought of you, Janet!) and the building itself it stunning to behold. Definitely worth a visit.



3. Grand Central Terminal
Again, a beautiful building, the ceiling was amazing but didn't look quite as good in photos so needs to be seen in person!


4. Central Park
The park is HUGE as Tom & I found out when we had to walk around most of it because of the Pope's visit which meant most of it was cordoned off! We went again at the end of our trip and I got very excited when I spotted the Alice in Wonderland statue.






5. The View from the top of the Rock
The first time I visited New York was as a student, and on that occasion we went up the Empire State Building at night and the view was breathtaking. This time I suggested to Tom that we go up to the Top of the Rock, aka the Rockefeller Center. The advantage of this is you get to see the Empire State as part of the view. Although there were a LOT of selfie-sticks up there which slightly hampered the experience!



6. Washington State Park
It was fun to explore Washington Square Park in the heart of Greenwich Village, which was full of interesting people playing chess, roller skating and even an MTV crew when we passed through.



7. A trip to Staten Island
As many tourists have now realised, the Staten Island Ferry is a free way to see the Statue of Liberty from the river. Avoid all the people trying to make you pay for tickets and head through to the terminal for a nice ride with some great views.




8. MoMA
There's no better place to spend a rainy day then a museum and the Museum of Modern Art is immense! Museums aren't too cheap in America ($25 entry) but it's worth the money for all the world famous works of art on display.





I have one just more post coming soon on New York, featuring some TV spots we visited in the city. Have a good weekend, folks!
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. The library was my favourite place last time I visited, partly because it was 40c outside and it had air conditioning but partly because it's just awesome. Did you visit the exhibition? So amazing to see original manuscripts of things like On The Road. Although now I say that I'm not sure if it was a permanent or temporary exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it must've been a temporary exhibition, it was a photography exhibition when we visited, which was also very good!

      Delete
  2. Aw I'm mad I missed the high line on my last visit, it looks fab! What a fun trip, I'm really looking forward to the TV spots post! :)

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig