Thursday, 9 July 2015

Recipe of the week: Yotam Ottolenghi's Black Pepper Tofu




It's easy to get into a bit of a rut with cooking. I am guilty of relying on the same post-work meals so I have decided to challenge myself to cook a new recipe a week and explore some new vegetarian meal options.

I borrowed a few veggie cookbooks from the library to inspire me, including the popular Plenty by Guardian food writer Yotam Ottolenghi. I plumped for the Black Pepper Tofu recipe which I'd been meaning to try for a while. Here it is if you'd like to give it a go yourself, it's also suitable for vegans.




I got very excited to discover that these noodles came with a ribbon wrapped around the individual portions!


Food failure or food success?
The recipe requires you to dip the tofu pieces in cornflour before frying them in oil. However when I tried it, this didn't seem to work - the flour/crust seemed to drop to the bottom of the frying pan and didn't coat the tofu very well. I also used black pepper from a grinder instead of crushing peppercorns with a pestle & mortar. Apart from that though this worked really well, it had a bite to it from the black pepper and chili and the ginger gave it a lovely flavour. Tom was suitably impressed and gave it the thumbs up!

Would you make it again?
Apart from the frying stress, yes! I'd just have to make sure I had all the ingredients ready as some are ones I wouldn't have in my store cupboard.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig