Saturday, 17 January 2015

Books lately: Actor Biogs



Lately I've been making my way through some actor autobiographies, including..

Coreyography by Corey Feldman

Corey Feldman stars in some of my favourite films, including Stand by Me, The Lost Boys and The Goonies. So when I saw he'd written a biography (with a ridiculous title) it went straight on my wishlist! This book is admittedly trashy; there's a lot of name-dropping and some of the stories seem a little hard to swallow. But it's a funny and interesting read. The book is no holds barred and Corey spares no detail about his friendship with Michael Jackson, Corey Haim and a host of other 80s actors. A guilty pleasure.

Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg

I picked this book up mainly because I'm a huge fan of Spaced, the brilliant late 90s comedy series which Pegg co-wrote with Jessica Stevenson (nee Hynes). The book as a whole was well written but I have to admit I had to 'skip to the end' of quite a few chapters, as there wasn't quite enough Spaced tales in there to keep me amused.

As You Wish (Inconceivable tales from the making of The Princess Bride) by Cary Elwes

Saving the best 'til last, my brother gave me a signed copy of Cary Elwes' new book for Christmas. As You Wish details the process of making one of my favourite films, The Princess Bride. Although Elwes can be slightly gushing at times, the book is a warm and funny memoir, which includes some funny Andre the Giant anecdotes, quotes from the rest of the cast and the challenge of learning to fence for the 'greatest swordfight in Modern Times'. It made me want to watch The Princess Bride all over again.

Have you read any good biographies lately? I'd love to hear some recommendations - next on my list is Yes Please by Amy Poehler.
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I went to see a Corey Feldman film at Raindance film festival years ago and couldn't believe it when he was actually there for the screening and sat in the same row as me :) I'd definitely only want to read the Simon Pegg Spaced chapters too - nothing else comes close! As You Wish sounds like a great read! I have no reading recommendations unfortunately but enjoyed yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha amazing! Did he seem like a nice chap from what you could tell?! Can you remember what the film was? He has done some bizarre ones in recent years by the sounds of it!x

      Delete
    2. I think it was called The Party? I kept falling asleep as it was a really late showing! He looked quite odd and was with a lady and a really little boy who I thought was definitely up past his bedtime :)

      Delete
  2. I never knew Simon Pegg had an autobiography! I'm sticking that on my 'to read' list pronto :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I love Spaced so much too. Did the girl do anything else that's good??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm not that I can think of! She played the neighbour in the Royle Family around the same time, hmmm... she was in a new sitcom recently but i watched a bit and didn't like it much! A pity.

      Delete
    2. Pardon me Miss but i must say Jessica Hynes has since appeared in both 2012 (sending up the Olympics planning committee) & W1A (sending up the BBC's relocation to Salford Quays' Mediacity) as a social-network obsessed PR 'Guru' who i find rather hilarious. More recently she has written Up the Women about the 1910 suffragette movement.

      Delete
    3. I think it was Up the Women I caught a bit of and wasn't too impressed! Nothing will live up to Spaced i think! :'(

      Delete
  4. Well, I *would* have said Yes Please! but...

    Steve got Neil Patrick Harris's autobiography for his birthday - it's written in a Choose Your Own Adventure style and I wish he'd hurry up and read it so I can borrow it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha more books should be in written in that style!

      Delete
  5. Well Just Kids by Patti Smith is amazing - and apparently she's writing a sequel :D
    I'm going to read Clothes, Clothes, Clothes, Music, Music, Music, Boys, Boys, Boys by Viv Albertine from The Slits- I've heard many good things about it including a glowing review in The Guardian so I think its going to be a good one!
    and Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth is bringing out her autobiography this year too.

    I'm very much sensing a theme here! for something not written by a female musician, I would recommend My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff which documents her time working at a publishing house which represented JD Salinger, its more of a coming of age in New York type of story but I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh yes, i have heard good things about Just Kids as well as Viv Albertine's book - spotted it in Rough Trade recently and it looked good.

      Kim Gordon's will great too. And My Salinger Year sounds ace... a trip to the library is in order!x

      Delete
  6. I'm excited for Yes Please too, once my library books are done I'll be on it! The Corey one sounds ok... (that title is amazing anyway) but I also wasn't fussed on the Simon Pegg one. I'd only seen his movies and not Spaced so a lot went over my head I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your photo for Two Days The Same with Corey Feldman looking up from your bag!

    I'm not a big biography reader but I did love Viv Albertine's autobiography recently. And Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay was great - not strictly speaking a biography, but had lots of memoir-type stuff in it. And my all-time favourite is Jeanette Winterson's beautiful and brilliant Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I also read Why Be Happy.. last year - I might include it on my next biography round up post (this time by all female authors!) x

      Delete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig