After sharing my news yesterday about house buying, it's become clear that Tom and I really need to knuckle down and save money whenever we can. It seems we are not alone, as Janet also announced yesterday she is embarking on an autumn spending ban.
I will be keeping track of how much I manage to save this month, and have thought of the following ideas to help us pinch pennies...
1. We'll be making every Monday into a 'no electricity night.' I wrote about this previously here, and it basically involved turning off electrical devices, TVs, laptops and lights and lighting candles to spend an evening as they did back in the pre-electric age! This Monday involved us attempting a new card game (unsuccessfully as it happened, the rules were a little complex!) and me learning a new song on the guitar which I've not touched for months. I also broke the rules slightly by baking some cookies using our electric fan oven. Shh, don't tell anyone..
2. I aim to take a packed lunch to work every day this month. This may prove tricky as I often rely a bit too heavily on cheese sandwiches and get bored, but it should force me to be more inventive with my lunches! Wraps, pasta and heating up leftover curries etc will help.
3. Declining all invitations to the pub/lunches - and having friends over to ours instead (with two possible exceptions that were planned last month!) I posted up some ideas on cheap nights in here.
4. A ban on buying clothes, books, newspapers and other unnecessary items for the month
5. Cooking more food in batches that can be reheated throughout the week
Do you have any other money saving tips you'd like to share? Or any frugal recipes?