Monday, 15 September 2014

Recipe: Pea, Mint & Courgette Risotto


I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with risotto. Mushroom risotto is often a staple vegetarian dish at unimaginative pubs. And a few years ago when I attempted my own I remember a particularly long session of stirring a risotto that just NEVER seemed to cook (I was quite hungry at the time!), after which I swore I'd never make one again. But after tasting a rather delicious pea & mint risotto at The Larder in Hockley a few weeks ago I thought I'd give it a go myself. (It's easy to vegan-ese this recipe by leaving out the cream/cheese and you can mix up the ingredients if you so wish!)

Ingredients (serves 2)
200g arborio risotto rice
800ml veg stock
1 red onion, chopped
1 small courgette, chopped
Half a lemon, use juice and zest
50g frozen peas
A handful of fresh mint, chopped
Splash of dry white wine (optional)
2-3 tbsp double cream
Cheddar cheese, grated
Olive oil

Method
1. Get your cooking playlist ready. (Mine involved Crazy Sexy Cool by TLC...)
2. Fry the onion in olive oil in a large saucepan for a few minutes then add the courgette and fry until softened.
3. Stir the rice into the onion and fry for 1 min
4. Add a ladle of veg stock, stir in until absorbed and keep adding by the ladleful for 20-30 mins, until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is creamy (aka the boring bit).
5. Add the double cream, and stir in along with a generous splash of wine. Stir in some grated cheese.
6. Add the lemon juice and stir in the fresh mint and frozen peas. Stir for a few minutes until the peas have cooked.
7. Season to taste, you're all done!
8. Enjoy with some crusty bread.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig