Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Learning the art of Letterpress


Last weekend I hopped on a train to Leicester to meet Janet for a Letterpress Printing workshop held at the beautiful Botanic Gardens. After getting a wee bit lost finding the venue, we finally arrived and met the tutor Nick who showed us how to typeset using a traditional letterpress, and how to print from a linocut.

I chose a quote from It's a Wonderful Life (and from The Owl & the Pussycat), along with a picture of a happy moon. I have to admit my favourite part of the day was having access to the amazing collection of wooden and metal letters in a wide array of typefaces. Basically a graphic designer's dream! After I'd made a few copies of my moon print I chose some interesting letters to spell out my blog name.

video

Here's a quick video to show you briefly how a letterpress works, using Janet's lovely 'books' print. (You can see her final piece here). Lining up the composition takes longer than you'd think and it took a few tries to get an even print, but it was so much fun experimenting! It's hard to believe that books and newspapers used such a time consuming technique up until the middle of last century.

I'd definitely recommend trying a workshop of this kind, the time just flew by! After our class we visited some amazing vintage furniture shops, then met up with the very lovely B of Make Do and Spend and headed for some food. I had a great day out in Leicester and I'd forgotten just how easy it is to get there by train, so I'm looking forward to visiting again soon.












SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Great post and great prints! Was so lovely to meet you in person - we'll definitely catch up again soon. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just read Janet's post too. I would lived to do something like this. I tried lino cutting at college but to be let loose on a letterpress would be awesome.
    Great prints - I love the Owl and the Pussycat (and their beautiful pea green boat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! I'd definitely recommend searching out a similar class if you can. x

      Delete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig