Monday, 26 May 2014

Recipe: Spinach & Feta Parcels


Last weekend I celebrated my birthday in the sunshine (seems like a long time ago now!) and decided to make some yummy snacks before my family came round. These Greek snacks (officially called spanakopitakia) went down very well indeed so I thought I'd share the recipe. They are perfect for summer picnics.

(Note, I improvise when cooking so the amounts are a bit approximate!)
Ingredients
350g filo pastry sheets
A bunch of spring onions, chopped
One pack of feta cheese
A small bag of spinach, chopped
2 eggs
Melted butter
Salt & pepper
Olive oil

Method
1. Preheat the oven to around 200 C. Heat the olive oil in a pan, then add the spring onions and fry until soft.
2. Next add the spinach and fry until the spinach is wilted.
3. In a bowl, beat the eggs together then add chopped feta to the mixture and season well.
4. Cut the filo pastry into rectangular strips and brush with melted butter. (Note, I do not own a pastry brush so attempted this by dabbing them with a buttery spoon. This is very messy so I recommend buying a pastry brush if you don't have one!)
5. Here's the slightly tricky bit! Add some feta/spinach mixture to middle of the strips and fold into triangular shapes. (Some of the online recipes explain in more detail how to achieve triangles, but that ended up confusing me further so I winged it a bit!) Some of mine came out a little less than triangular, but don't worry too much as they looked better when cooked.
6. Place the parcels onto a greased baking sheet and bake for around 20mins or until browned. Yum!
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I'm going to try these for our picnic this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound (and look) amazing. I was about to say that it's a shame they're not vegan, but acually just realised that it means all the more for me!

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig