Friday, 25 April 2014

Film Friday: The Punk Singer


Plot: This documentary focuses on the life of Bikini Kill & Le Tigre frontwoman Kathleen Hanna, showing clips of early performances as well as commentary from others in the music scene on how influential Hanna was.
Guest appearances: Hanna is married to Ad-Rock from the Beastie Boys which I didn't realise til watching this film, so we see how they first became a couple and how conflicted she was when they first got together..
Watch this if you're a fan of.. riot grrrl, feminism, punk rock
Fun facts Hanna talks in the film about how she inadvertently named Smells like Teen Spirit one drunken night with Kurt Cobain.
Overall: This is a great documentary, and made me really want to listen to Le Tigre again! Towards the end the film takes a sadder tone as it focuses on the illness that Kathleen suffers which prevented her from touring, and her new band The Julie Ruin.

6 comments:

  1. It seems like it's really worth watching! I love musicians' world and I always wanted to be a part of a group. When I was a child I had seen "Almost Famous" so many times that this kind of life became my dream. I will definitely add this documentary to my movie list and hopefully will see it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend it. It's on US Netflix but will be out at some cinemas soon, hope you can find it!

      Delete
  2. I really liked this movie too, I think it works even if you don't particularly like the music/riot grrrl scene, because Kathleen Hanna is so endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I SO BADLY want to see this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This FINALLY made it to the Phoenix in Leicester so I saw it on Sunday - it's so freaking good! Funny and moving and inspirational... I left the cinema wanting to start a band and write another zine and most of all, listen to all the Bikini Kill and Le Tigre albums. Thomas and I thought it would work really well as one half of a double bill with We Are The Best.

      Delete
    2. Yes!! Wasn't it brilliant. Made me nostalgic for the 90s! Might listen to some Le Tigre now hehe x ps just remembered I need to bring your poster on Sat!

      Delete