Friday, 8 November 2013

Film Friday: The Help


While I was off work with the flu I finally managed to watch The Help. I really enjoyed the film, which stars Emma Stone as Skeeter, an aspiring author who decides to write about the fate of African-American maids who worked for white families in Jackson, Mississippi. Octavia Spencer does a fantastic job (which won her an Oscar) playing a maid called Minny who ends up getting her own back on her cruel employer in a very unique way! The film highlighted many of the injustices faced by black maids working for white families in the 60s. Although I found some of the scenes were maybe a little unrealistic (leaving the toilets on Hilly's lawn for example, would this really have happened?) I'd definitely recommend a watch.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig