Thursday, 21 November 2013

Favourite TV Shows

I enjoyed reading Janet's recent blog post about her favourite TV shows so I thought I'd compile a list as well. (Let me know if there's any good box sets I've missed!)


Comedy
At the moment we are rewatching early Peepshow episodes and I am looking forward to the final-ever series, which starts very soon. My favourite comedy series though is Spaced. The wonderful pairing of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, along with Jessica Stevenson who was quite brilliant as Daisy. Those two series got me through life as a student in halls and it still cheers me up today. (Though I am slightly sad that Pegg & Frost aren't quite as good these days...) I have to admit I've never really seen the appeal of the Big Bang Theory (sorry to all their fans!) but recently I've really been enjoying watching episodes of Louie on Netflix, which cheered me up through a recent spell of 'flu. (Although the catchy theme tune drives me a bit nuts!)


Box Sets
It took me quite a while to get into The Wire but after I got used to the violence and gritty realism I began to really enjoy it. I've only seen the first 3 series but I'd definitely recommend persevering! I am also a fan of Sarah Lund in The Killing, and we're currently up to season 4 of Breaking Bad (although I think I actually preferred the first two seasons.) I can fully recommend Orange is the New Black, and I can't wait for the 3rd series of Girls next year. I'm also a big fan of Mad Men, though I didn't rate the last series quite as highly as previous ones. My all-time favourite box set though is My So-Called Life. I think it's nearly time to give the Christmas episode a re-watch...

Cheese
After watching programmes about serial killers and sadistic prison wardens, it's nice to unwind with a good dose of the Great British Bake Off. I also have to admit that while I'm not hugely into weddings, I can't help watching Don't Tell the Bride. It is quite addictive viewing, even though every episode has exactly the same premise. Beginning: Groom plans complete opposite wedding to the one his fiancee has dreamt about since childhood (usually to please his Best Man) Middle: Bride tries his chosen dress on and weeps. Groom spends 80% of his budget on ridiculous Stag Do. End: Everything wraps up nicely, with the bride proclaiming she is "so proud" of her new husband and they all live happily ever after..?!

2 comments:

  1. Your summary of Don't Tell The Bride is spot-on (especially the bit about the groom doing what the best man wants - I think it's very telling about male friendships)! I love that programme too, once I start watching I just can't stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, the last episode I watched had quite a jealous best man who insisted on also wearing a wedding dress and dancing with the groom after the ceremony, hehe x

      Delete