Sunday, 6 October 2013

Home Tour: Inside the Convent


When Tom and I were on the lookout for a place to move in together, I stumbled across a listing for a flat inside an old convent. I initially thought it would be quite old and musty, so was pleasantly surprised when we were shown around. We decided to go for it and we moved in to the flat around two and a half years ago. I thought it would be nice to share a few photos of our home and share a bit of its history.

The Convent was built just over a hundred years ago, and used to be home to the Sisters of Mercy (er, not the band!), who are actually buried in the churchyard nearby (pretty spooky). Apparently by around the year 2000 there was only a handful of them still living inside the large building so they moved into a smaller residence, and the convent was converted into flats. Although the building has been updated there are still lots of original features, including numerous beautiful stained glass windows. There's also a chapel which you can hire for parties, which we'd definitely miss should we choose to move out!


"Sunshine... moonlight... good times.. boogie"


 My favourite thing, the massive bookshelves in our living room! (which we managed to fill way too easily..!)


 Our kitchen with bunting made for an outdoor party a few years ago


Photobooth pics, yeeeah.

Stained glass windows in the corridor


Poster from cat museum the KattenKabinet in Amsterdam.

I will never get tired of this view!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Love the bookshelves! We have been living in a former rectory for 3yrs with the cemetery view from our west windows. Love our (filled) book shelves too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, would love to see your place as well :-)

      Delete
  2. Every time you show pictures of your home I feel a little bit jealous, but today I'm going to focus my jealousy on that amazing cat/book poster. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a coincidence we both posted home tours today, gonna hop over and see yours now! That poster btw is from the Katten Kabinet in Amsterdam, a lovely cat museum (will add the link above), you should go, they have loads of nice ones!

      Delete
  3. When I saw that both you and Sarah had posted home tours today I got very excited, I love a nosey around people's houses! And is that a Rob Ryan tea towel I spy in one picture? I'm always tempted to frame lovely tea towels but never sure it will look ok. Yours certainly does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a screenprint by Mr Ryan that i got at the Bust Xmas Craftacular a couple of years ago, it uses quite cheap paper so does resemble a tea towel! But framing tea towels works really well, we did that in my last flat, you should try it.

      Delete
    2. Oops! My mistake, I could swear I saw an identical tea towel recently. It looks fab, regardless of what it is!

      Delete
  4. What a unique flat! I *love* those book shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argh I love your bookshelves too! What a cool place to live :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a unique, beautiful dwelling you've made for yourself! There's so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing place to live! That bookshelf is to die for--and the view, the convent, and everything is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig