Thursday, 1 August 2013

How to Make a Rag Rug


Last Christmas my auntie gave me this wonderful rag rug she'd made for me. She assured me that making the rugs was really quite simple, so I asked her to teach me the basics last weekend. It's a craft that anyone can do, and as it's quite an 'imperfect' art it doesn't really matter if you go wrong. So it's perfect to do while you're relaxing in front of a film after work. Hurrah! If you'd like to give it a go here is a simple tutorial.

What you'll need
Stretchy strips of fabric in several colours of your choice (t-shirt material is good)
A bodger tool (for prodding the fabric pieces through the hessian)
Some hessian fabric to use for the base (in a size of your choice)
Sharp scissors
Needle & thread (to finish the edges)
Chalk

The supplies above should be available from craft supply shops but can all be ordered online if not.



1. Firstly you'll need to decide on the shape and size of your rug. The circular one my auntie made me is about 4ft across, but as I'm a beginner I started with a smaller heart shaped piece that can be hung on the wall when finished. (You can also make some nice looking seat covers using this method as well should you wish!)

2. Draw your shape on to the hessian with some chalk or a marker pen. Cut the shape out with some sharp scissors.


3. Cut up your different fabric pieces (or recycled t-shirts) into rectangle rectangles roughly 10cm x 3cm - you'll need to make a batch of each colour you'll be using.


Front


Back

4. Using your bodger push a piece of fabric through a hole in the hessian and pull it through the other side as in the pictures above. Make sure to leave roughly an inch gap round the edges of the rug (as the edge will be sewn round at the end).



5. Continue in a row. If you wish to use another colour switch fabrics, and continue until the rug is filled with different colours!



6. Sew around the edge of your rug using strong thread, as above. Then you're done! The back of your rug should look like the picture above, pretty neat in itself!


This is my heart shaped piece so far - I better get on with finishing it now!
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. That is going to be the cutest rug! I've never seen one made like that, only crochet ones. I've had an ombre crochet rag rug on my to do list for ages! I can't wait to see this all finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Crocheted rugs sound great as well, I've never been able to master the art though sadly..

      Delete
  2. Where did you get that adorable owl pillow in the background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite often found in gift shops now I think, they sell them at a shop called Atomic here in Nottingham. i have two that were both gifts. They keep each other company!

      Delete
  3. how do I mend a hole in a rag rug

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's very easy and beautifull thank for sharing

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig