Friday, 7 June 2013

Film Friday | Winona Forever


This week I only half-watched a film, the brilliant Mermaids, which stars one of my favourite actresses of the 90s, Winona Ryder. This made me wonder why her film work seems to have dried up a bit in recent years - perhaps it's because she always played the adolescent, coming-of-age role so perfectly, and it's hard to recreate that innocence as an adult?

Here are my top 5 'Winona Forever' films...

1. Edward Scissorhands
Johnny + Winona made the perfect couple. Still my favourite Tim Burton film.

2. How to Make an American Quilt
I do love this film. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend giving it a watch. Winona plays a girl who's having relationship problems so goes to stay with her grandma  in the countryside where she tries to get her master's thesis finished. While working on a quilt together, her grandma and her friends tell her stories about their past loves.

3. Beetlejuice
I only watched this film for the first time last year! I think I may have found Beetlejuice a bit scary as a kid?! But it is pretty ace.. I feel the need to watch it again soon.

4. Girl, Interrupted
I've not watched this in years, but remember really enjoying it - the book it's based on is also very good.

5. Mermaids
The scene where they dance round the kitchen. In this film Winona reminds me a little of Angela from My So-Called Life, partly when we hear her inner monologue. Cher, Winona and Christina Ricci, what more could you ask for?!

Happy weekend! x
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Great post! :D Love all those films although I haven't seen 'How to make an American Quilt'. I must check that out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, no Reality Bites? My sister and I used to watch that movie over and over when we were younger! That might be my top pick for her, though she really was in a lot of good films. I can't really think of one that I don't like actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe well I didn't watch Reality Bites til a few years ago, so it's missed out mainly because of that!

      Delete
  3. Seen, and love, all of these except for 'how to make an american quilt' - will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig