Sunday, 21 April 2013

Painting the town red in Melton Mowbray


Tom and I had a lovely wander around Melton Mowbray this weekend. In case you're unfamiliar with the market town, it's famous mainly for two things - being the home of pork pies, and being the place where the phrase "painting the town red" originates!

The area is also the home of stilton cheese, so things weren't entirely bad for a visiting vegetarian. We popped into Ye Old Pork Pie Shoppe, where Tom picked out an immense pie (and I bought a cheese and onion pasty) and we headed to the park in the sunshine for a picnic.







The only disappointment in Melton was the lack of records in the local charity shops. With it being Record Store Day on Saturday I was hoping to pick up a few gems, but no such luck! I later met up with some friends in the Arboretum who had quite an impressive haul bought from Rob's Records in Nottingham though, a place I still need to visit.


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I had no idea that expression was from a specific city! I'm glad you had a good time, thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little town! Onion and cheese pastys are delish, I ate a fair few myself whilst in good ole Fal.
    I did receive your letter, and I replied yesterday and will have it in the post soon! (I LOVED your zine!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you liked the zine too x

      Delete
  3. You have to go to Rob's Records, you've never seen anything like it - I remember the first time I went I couldn't believe it lol.

    I really fancy a pie now, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I just saw this:

    http://nottinghamconfidential.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/robs-record-mart-in-tidy-up-shock_09.html

    So maybe it doesn't look anything like I remember it now... when I first went, it looked like this!

    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Travel/Pix/pictures/2010/3/31/1270032046774/Robs-Records-Nottingham-001.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/mar/31/nottingham-twitrip-twitter-uk&h=150&w=220&sz=13&tbnid=Bl2CADBKdK_BuM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=132&zoom=1&usg=__-q57ZMDyDb5jjubxTJlSsKrKaBk=&docid=6k_oxmd08S2V0M&sa=X&ei=8vt0UcybOa7K0AXW_YFY&ved=0CEcQ9QEwBQ&dur=269

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, i think it's still quite ramshackle in there, i'll have to pop in this weekend and report back!x

      Delete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig