Wednesday, 20 February 2013

A letter to my past self


I really enjoyed reading Sarah and Janet's posts recently looking back at ten year periods in their life, then looking forward to what's to come. And as I'm soon turning thirty I thought I'd join in too. (I find it hard writing personal posts so apologies if this is overly long and boring!)

May 1983
Little me was born! I had my own tiny room waiting for me, decorated in white and red Laura Ashley wallpaper in a terraced house in Derby. Pets included a cat called Pyewacket.

February 1993
When I was nine I had two best friends and constantly struggled to not feel like the third wheel. Magazines I read included Shout and Fast Forward (the advert for which seems amazingly dated now!). Favourite music included PJ & Duncan, Salt & Pepa and 2 Unlimited. I collected stickers, and song lyrics sheets from Smash Hits. Oh as well as orange smarties. My dream was to one day have a full tub of just the orange ones as these were obviously far superior to the rest. I made a school magazine/comic called Just Kids which my friends and I used to sell around school. When I grew up I thought it would be cool to become a children's book illustrator. Pets included a dog called Pud and a hamster called Cinnamon.

February 2003
It was my first year of university and a lot had changed in the last ten years. Although at first I was apprehensive about moving to uni in Hull it was a really good thing for me as I met lots of new people and felt a lot more independent. I was still pretty shy though and hated going to clubs but discovered an ace pub across the road with a great jukebox. In my second year I had my first proper break up and survived it by listening to PJ HarveyThe Postal Service a lot, reading books by Elizabeth Wurtzel and writing a zine called 'Highway to Hull' or something to that effect! Dreams at the time were of passing my degree and moving to somewhere a little prettier.

February 2013
After graduating I got my first job in Nottingham and moved here in 2007. When I first arrived I knew no one in Nottingham but by living with a mixture of housemates over the years got to know new people and now I really feel like it's my home. I am now living with a wonderful boy and have a job I really enjoy so I feel very lucky. I am still a bit unsure about grown-up things such as mortgages and having children however, and feel too young to think about such things, which I admit is fairly ridiculous at nearly 30. Does anyone else feel the same way? I hope in the next ten years I can explore more of the world, grow in my job path and most importantly, have the chance to once more own a dog!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. This post is wonderful; I like reading things like this.

    I was also born in 1983 and adored 2 Unlimited. My dream career was to take over when they got too old, so I spent a lot of time dancing to No Limit with my friend who'd be the other person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! Embarrassing fact alert: me and 2 friends formed our own band called 3 Unlimited (mainly us and a keyboard making up songs in the broom cupboard at school)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, Elizabeth Wurtzel books! I always think of that High Fidelity quote: "what came first, the music or the misery...?" Was I miserable because I read such depressing books, or did I read those books because I was miserable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - but was I the only one who read the depressing books largely so I could scoff (to myself, due to a shortage of friends) about how the writer didn't know what *real* misery was?

      Delete
  3. Love posts like this! I shared your taste in naff 90s music and magazines, and Elizabeth Wurtzel books helped me through a breakup at uni too!

    I'm 33 and am still scared of the whole mortgage/children thing (although I did have a mortgage once, which didn't end too well...). I still think I'm a lot younger than I actually am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED reading that, not dull at all! I'm a bit older than you and can tell you that even when you have kids and a house you still feel the same as you did when you recorded the top 40 on a Sunday night. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. On a brighter note: orange Smarties are THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd totally forgotten about Fast Forward magazine! :D Great post! I loved Elizabeth Wurtzel too :) Still haven't seen the movie of Prozac Nation, but I read it's awful, so maybe it's for the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah i heard that about the film too so avoided it for that reason!

      Delete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig