Monday, 15 October 2012

The best films to watch when you're ill.



Over the past few days I've been feeling under the weather so I decided to make this list for other people out there who are full of cold. So grab your duvet, make some hot ribena and settle down for a day's viewing!

5. Any Disney film
There's nothing quite as comforting as watching a film from your childhood. My personal favourites are Dumbo, (I love the bit where the crows teach him how to fly!), The Little Mermaid, Robin Hood and The Jungle Book.

4. A 90's rom-com
When you're ill you don't really want to have to concentrate too much on working out complicated plot-lines. There's also the likelihood you'll fall asleep halfway through! So why not watch something easy like Sliding Doors (currently on iPlayer), Sleepless in Seattle or my personal favourite from the mid-90s, Shooting Fish.

3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
This John Hughes classis sees Ferris faking illness to get out of a day at school. What ensues is probably the most fun you can have on a sick day.

2. The Princess Bride
This was the film we always rented on video when I was off school ill as a child. If you've not seen it, don't let the soppy title put you off. The film begins with an ill Fred Savage (Kevin from the Wonder Years, above) in bed and grumpy, when his grandfather (played by Peter Falk/Columbo) arrives and tells him the story of the Princess Bride. One of my favourite films, which gives new meaning to the phrase "As you wish."

1. Rear Window
When confined to a wheelchair after breaking his leg, Jeff (played perfectly by James Stewart) witnesses what seems to be a murder in the apartment opposite. A perfect film to watch when you too are confined to your sofa, this classic Hitchcock suspense film is one I can watch over and over.

What films do you watch when you're not feeling well?
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Hope you are feeling better! I am with you on the 90's rom coms. I like While You Were Sleeping too. My husband watches Gregory's girl as the merest hint of poorliness! (it is a good film ) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen Gregory's Girl, might have to give it a watch!x

      Delete
  2. I'm going to see Rear Window at the cinema tonight - can hardly wait!

    My go-to don't-feel-well films are Amelie, The Station Agent and When Harry Met Sally.

    Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, three great choices :) Enjoy the film tonight, should be great seeing it on the big screen!x

      Delete
  3. Any classic musical - West Side Story and Meet Me In St Louis are my favourites, but really anything technicolour and jazz hands does it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be exactly my list only with The Princess Bride in the top spot haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you believe that Thomas and I have only just seen The Princess Bride? I loved it and its definitely going on my version of this list :)

    My go to films when I'm sick are always Pixar and Disney, my current faves are Tangled (I can't help myself) and Wall-E, they always cheer me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw so glad you loved Princess Bride :)

      Wall-E is great, i havent seen Tangled though!

      Delete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig