Wednesday, 10 October 2012

A perfect winter's meal


Earlier this week I made a tasty sausage and bean casserole, which I thought I'd share here. As I'm vegetarian (well, pescetarian in fact) and Tom eats meat I ended up making two versions with veggie and pork sausages. The recipe worked well for both and is quite adaptable too. Next time I might add mushrooms and some green vegetables.


Sausage & Bean Casserole
Serves 4

Ingredients
6 sausages of your choice
1 large sweet potato (cut into small chunks)
4-5 carrots (chopped)
1 large red onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
450g vegetable stock
Tomato puree
Dash of red wine (optional)
1 tin of borlotti beans
1 teaspoon sugar
Herbs of your choice (I used what was in the cupboard, oregano & basil but I think but fresh chopped rosemary could work well too!)
1-2 teaspoons of cumin
Salt & pepper to taste
A generous dash of Worcester Sauce (or Henderson's Relish for vegetarians!)

Method
(For this recipe I'll admit I did improvise as I went along, but here is roughly how it was made!)

1. Cook the sausages according to their instructions (I grilled my veggie ones and Tom fried his meaty ones)
2. Boil some water and add the chopped carrot & potato, cooking for around 10 minutes.
3. Whilst they are cooking fry the chopped onion and garlic in a large pan
4. When they are softened, add the chopped tomato and stock. Season with salt, pepper, red wine, herbs and Henderson's relish, whatever you think will work well!
5. Now add the cooked potato and carrots and simmer for around ten minutes.
6. (Here is where you divide the mixture into 2 pans if making both a meat and veggie version!) Finally chop up the cooked sausages and add to the tomato mixture. Also add the beans and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Serve up with either garlic bread or rice. Preferably in candlelight for added cosiness!
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I love improvising stews like this - harissa paste is a really good base for veggie stews and then I just throw all sorts of veg that need using up in.

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig