Monday, 3 September 2012

Mixtape Memories by Janet



Next up to offer some memories of a mixtape is one of my favourite bloggers of recent times, Janet. here she tells us about a hand-clapping tape she was made, which is sure to cheer anyone up. Thanks JB!


My brother, Richard, gives great gifts, and my absolute favourite present from him was this mixtape. Titled ‘Handclapping Songs’, it was prompted by a discussion many years ago in which I mentioned that adding handclaps to a song immediately made said song awesome. About six months later – six months in which Richard had spent hour upon hour listening out for handclaps in songs, noting down the title and adding it to the mix – I opened my Christmas presents and found the tape. Best. Present. Ever.

The mix included songs I already loved (The Shins, Badly Drawn Boy, Ben Folds), reminded me of old favourites (Garbage, Kenickie, Air), and introduced me to artists (Todd Rundgren, The Beach Boys) that I’d never taken much notice of before. Subsequent editions of handclapping songs mixes have been made by Richard over the years, with the series now available in cassette and CD format (cassettes for my car – yes,
that’s how ancient it is – and CDs for home), but volume one is the original and the best.

Side 1
1. The Meters – Handclapping Song
2. Garbage – Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)
3. Wilco – Nothing’severgonnastandinmyway (again)
4. The Beatles – Good Day Sunshine
5. The Beatles – And Your Bird Can Sing
6. Air – Radio # 1
7. The Flaming Lips – Brainville
8. The Ramones – Sheena Is A Punk Rocker
9. Lambchop – Up With People
10. REM – Get Up
11. Sly & The Family Stone – Stand
12. Kenickie – Come Out 2 Nite
13. Todd Rundgren – We Gotta Get You A Woman
14. Stevie Wonder – Higher Ground

Side 2
1. The Shins – Kissing The Lipless
2. Badly Drawn Boy – Bewilderbeast
3. The Kinks – People Take Pictures Of Each Other
4. The Beach Boys – Do It Again
5. Evan Dando – Waking Up
6. Beck – Where It’s At
7. Junior Senior – Chicks & Dicks
8. Teenage Fanclub – Metal Baby
9. Nikka Costa – Like A Feather
10. Gomez – Las Vegas Dealer
11. The Concretes – You Can’t Hurry Love
12. Ben Folds – Annie Waits
13. Big Star – Watch The Sunrise
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I love this story and I love the track list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good tape, I still listen to it all the time!

      Delete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig