Thursday, 16 August 2012

On changes (and ukuleles)

uke

Last month was a strange one for me as I found out I'd been made redundant from my job of five years. It was sad to suddenly say goodbye to everyone there, but I'd felt for some time it was time to move on anyway. So I'm hoping to use this as an opportunity to find something new and exciting!

Working from home the past few weeks has been a refreshing change. Although applying for jobs takes up a lot of time I've also given myself time to start learning the ukulele (I already know the guitar and this isn't quite as tricky- but the different chords are a bit confusing!) I aim to know this Beirut song by the end of the week! Do any of you play the ukulele, I'd love any other recommendations for songs to learn? I also hope to take on more freelance illustration work and set up an Etsy shop soon too selling my illustrations. More time to be creative can only be a good thing, right? Watch this space! Lx
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I'd love to learn the Ukelele, go you! Though sorry about your job, I'm sure something will come up for you though and more time to be creative is a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhianne! You should give it a go.. I'm lucky that Tom has so many instruments lying around for me to have a go on! This website seems great to pick it up: http://ukulelehunt.com/

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your job too, though it definitely leaves room for something much better! So good to hear you're going to open a shop - can't wait to see what you've got on offer. Ukuleles are so fun, mine is so rubbish and cheap and sounds terrible. Have had a bit of a play with it but have been meaning to buy a decent one and learn properly. Share some tunes of yours with us! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siobhan. it'd be fun to share some tunes eventually, might make that a goal of mine :) x

      Delete
  3. Hope you get sorted work wise soon. You seem to have a very good attitude though! I really admir you getting on and learning an instrument. I think you would find me on the sofa with crap telly Nick x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Laura -- I just got ukulele too (to celebrate 3x3!)... and now I am seeing them everywhere! I've learned Moon River and Somewhere Over the Rainbow, so far. Check out 'Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain' (if you haven't already)!
    :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M! Oh congratulations on the 3x3! Moon River would be lovely to learn and another friend recommended the uke version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow too. Will check out the U.O.O.G.B too now :) x

      Delete
  5. I took on the uke a few weeks ago myself, with the same Beirut goal in mind!
    The Magnetic Fields lend themselves to the uke pretty well too (All My Little Words).
    Beatles are v.tricky with lots of quirky chords, but I'm learning Girl at the moment, it's a joy -when it comes together...
    Did you know Joe Strummer's name (apparently) comes from the fact he was particularly bad at strumming the ukelele? I learnt Guns of Brixton in hommage.
    Sorry to hear the bad news with your old job. Good luck with the job hunting.
    Gaelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks for the tips. I do like Guns of Brixton so that may be an interesting one to learn! x

      Delete
  6. Wow can't wait to see more of your illustration work! XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sorry about that. But here's to a new start! I'm sure something great will show up!
    And YES to this Beirut's song! :)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's to fresh starts, exciting learning opportunities and more time for creativity! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig