Monday, 20 August 2012

Mixtape Memories by Sarah Rooftops

This week Sarah is sharing a happy mix-tape full of 80s classics, made for her by a friend a few years ago. Thanks for sharing Sarah!



My friend and former flatmate Roddy used to make me the best mix tapes. I still have stacks of them and I no longer have a tape deck with which to play them - I can't imagine ever throwing them out. He was (still is, actually) my link to grunge, indie and general alternative music and I love the ridiculous titles he gave the tapes: Sarah's Feeling 7UP Better Tape Yo!; Electric White Boy Blues; Get Into the Groovy...

Side one on almost all of them ended with a quote from an Indiana Jones audiobook, the sound of a cracking whip and ding-a-ling-ling "Now turn your cassette over!"

The one I've chosen to show you was a break from the 90s norm; this was a tape of absolute feelgood cheesy nonsense which he made me when I was going through a tough time. Even just reading the track listing can still put a smile on my face:

SIDE ONE
Huey Lewis & the News: Power of Love
Bobby Brown: On Our Own
J. Giels Band: Centrefold
Little Angels: She's a Little Angel
Lou Gramm: Lost in the Shadows (Lost Boys)
Billy Ocean: When the Goin' Gets Tough (the tough get goin')
Simple Minds: Don't You (Forget About Me)
Big Pig: I Can't Break Away
C&C Music Factory: Dance (til you can't dance no more)
Flesh for Lulu: I Go Crazy

SIDE TWO
Cyndi Lauper: Goonies R Good Enuf
Cheap Trick: I Want You to Want Me
Whigfield: Saturday Night
Poison: Swamp Juice/Unskinny Bop
J. Giels Band: Fright Night
Haircut 100: Love Plus One
Jan Hammer: Miami Vice
Irene Cara: Flashdance (what a feeling)
Warrant: Cherry Pie
Tiffany: I Think We're Alone Now
Billy Joel: Uptown Girl
Huey Lewis & the News: Back in Time
Jane's Addiction: Thank You Boys
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Hehe I might recreate this playlist on spotify when i need to dance around the house!

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig