Sunday, 19 August 2012

Graphic novels, lately

Lately I've read some good graphic novels, which I thought I'd share here.

DSC_0069

1. Kiki de Montparnasse by Catel Muller & Jose-Luis Bocquet

This graphic novel tells the true story of the life of artist's model Alice Prin, later known as Kiki, who leaves her home in rural France for the bohemian area of Montparnasse. Here she became a model and muse for several well known artists. She is perhaps most famous for being photographer Man Ray's model (you may recognise this shot of her which inspired the book cover.) It was fascinating to read more about Kiki's life and I would recommend this to anyone with an interest in art and life during the 1920s - it certainly wasn't an easy life for a women growing up at the beginning of the century.

DSC_0072

2. Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea by Guy Delisle

I bought this for Tom's birthday as he has a bit of a fascination with North Korea. This graphic novel documents the months Delisle spent in the country whilst working as an animator for a French studio. It's a very eye opening account of how things stand in North Korea, as well as being quite humorous. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in one of the most secretive countries in the world.

DSC_0073

3. Safe Area: Gorazde by Joe Sacco

After Tom and I visited Croatia in May I became interested in finding out more about what happening during the Bosnian war in the 1990s. This book was written by Sacco when he was a journalist in Bosnia during 4 months he spent in the town of Gorazde. During this period he interviews several people living in the area, getting a first hand view of what is really going on. Some elements of the story are very shocking and upsetting to read, but it was a good way to learn more about the politics and true stories of the events that unfolded at the time. Sacco is a masterful storyteller and artist, and has written several other graphic novels I am also interested in reading.

DSC_0070

4. Mother, Come Home by Paul Hornschemeier
This is a fictional tale of a father and son who are struggling to come to terms with the death of their mother. I read it in one sitting and found the storyline quite sad but affecting.

5. I also read the latest Daniel Clowes book, Mister Wonderful, which was a story about a lonely man trying to connect with someone he meets on a blind date. Like all of Clowes books, it was a visual treat!

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. My husband reads a lot of graphic novels so have passed on these titles to him. He is a big fan of Seth. I just bought my daughter her first one which was called Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol which I read too and it was really good. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've read a couple of books by Seth too. I've heard of Anya's Ghost, may have to investigate further :)

      Delete
  2. Mother come home is one of my favorite graphic novels. So beautiful and sad <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed this post and I reallyy want to read 'Kiki De Montparnasse' sounds brills! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, i think you'd really like it! x

      Delete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig