Friday, 17 August 2012

Film Friday: Searching for Sugar Man



This week I went to see a music documentary currently playing at the cinema, called Searching for Sugar Man. I'd read a recommendation by Sarah Rooftops recently, and I'd also heard the song the film is named after a few years ago on a compilation. So I was intrigued to find out more about the songwriter himself, known as Rodriguez.

Rodriguez never achieved any fame or recognition in his home country of the USA, but found millions of fans in South Africa after a bootleg of his album appeared there and was passed around, building up his fanbase immensely. He eventually became as famous as Bob Dylan in South Africa and was adored by many who found his songs inspiring during the era of Apartheid. Rodriguez himself never found out about his fame however, and the film documents the search to discover what happened to the musician. It was a very enjoyable documentary which I'd recommend, and has made me want to listen to more music by the humble performer himself.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig