Sunday, 24 June 2012

Things other people love but I don't like


Recently Sarah Rooftops wrote a post on the subject of things other people love but she just doesn't get, so I thought I would try a similar list myself. Here goes nothing..

1. Harry Potter
While not everyone I know loves Harry Potter a lot of people seem to reference various characters from the films and I don't really have a clue what they are talking about. I only watched half of the first film and it was okay but I think my main problem is I can't really stand Daniel Radcliffe!

2. Star Wars
I understand that a lot of people love Star Wars from watching the films as a child, and I've tried to sit through these films several times and it's just never done it for me. Plus the Phantom Menace was truly terrible (but even the real fans admit that).

3. Bob Dylan
Despite several friends trying to convince me of Bob Dylan's talents over the years, his voice annoys me a bit and I just don't get his appeal. (See also: Bruce Springsteen, Elton John)

4. Seafood
Tom is always trying to make me learn to love prawns, calamari and other seafood but I really can't bring myself to eat them! It just seems wrong for some reason... especially seafood with tiny beady eyes, arg!

5. Musicals
Although there are a few from my childhood I still enjoy (Mary Poppins, Oliver, the Wizard of Oz if that counts?) most musicals just get on my nerves a bit!

6. High heels
The one time I tried on high heels in a shop I actually got a cramp in my foot, so I've given up! Flat shoes are just so much comfier and easier to wear.

I better stop there! Are there any you disagree with or would add to your own list? Let me know!
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. I totally agree with #3, in fact I was just having a conversation about this recently. His voice just grates on me! See also Neutral Milk Hotel, whose songs I love but who I can barely listen to without wanting to claw my ears out, thanks to the singer's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even stand in high heels, let alone walk in them. I'm quite happy being short in my flats.

    Also, I agree on the seafood. Disgusting. I can only eat fish fingers and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep i'm a pescetarian but only really eat quite boring fish, fishfinger sandwiches are pretty great!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on musicals! I've never seen Star Wars, but I do LOVE Harry Potter, am a Dylan and Springsteen fan and as I'm only 5ft tall I do like to wear heels every now and again.

    The main thing I don't like that other people get is...football. I hate football so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yes i like how we're just reading blogs while England are playing (though i think this game's been dull so far as it is!)

      Delete
  4. i totally agree on all of these 5 things....., honestly. that's weird - i've never met someone who dislikes them all as well :) high five! (though i would love to be able and walk on high heels. sometimes.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on Harry Potter and high heels. Oh and musicals too except I did see Edward Scissorhands the musical which had the most beautiful set design that made up for the singing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the film version of Ed Scissorhands so i can imagine the musical version being visually beautiful!

      Delete
  6. This is my favorite blog to read, but now that I read you don't like Harry Potter... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw no! Here is a harry potter joke i found to cheer you up: What did Harry's godfather say when Harry wouldn't stop poking him?

      "Stop that now. I'm Sirius."

      Delete
    2. Okay, the joke totally makes up for it now :)

      Delete
  7. Oh man, I sooooooooooo agree with some of these. Harry Potter & Starwars? BLAH! Seafood? No thanks. & I can't stand Lord of the Rings, either! Or Zooey Deschannel. OR Ryan Gosling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zooey Deschanel is a good call, i used to quite like her but now i find her a bit too much :S

      Delete
  8. I'm different to Bob Dylan, hate the Harry Potter books but like the films (though, admittedly not so much the first one which is really aimed at kids), and love Singin' in the Rain but rarely like any other musicals. As for high heels - I *can* walk in heels; I'm actually quite good at it; but a few years ago I realised that just because I'm capable of doing something uncomfortable doesn't mean I should. Most of my shoes have a 1" heel now because that's what I find most comfortable.

    Aren't these posts so scary to publish?! I was terrified I was going to get screamed at in the comments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely was rather worried about offending people with this post! A bit scary but nice hearing other people's opinions :)

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't stand Daniel Radcliffe! I'm also with you on Star Wars. I watched the first 3 for the first time quite recently and although they were entertainting I couldn't understand the hype, unlike my boyfriend who is crazy for Star Wars.
    I read the Lord of the Rings books recently and felt a bit guilty that by the end I was just thinking 'when is the end, the ring is gone end of story, shut up!' they are far longer than they need to be. Also, things like x factor, just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yep, im with you on Harry Potter, but Dylan? REALLY? you don't like dylan?

    ;)

    xo em

    p.s lovely to meet you here

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bob Dylan... I just can't agree with you - he's incredible (or at least was, in the 60s)

    But, to be fair, I think he might be an acquired taste - a little like olives

    My dad always loves quoting my 10-year-old self: "But he can't sing!"

    B x

    (By the way, I'm very exciting to have come across your blog... you're also from the East Mids and we practical have the same blog name - what are the chances!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! I'll have to have a look through yours now too :)

      Delete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig