Thursday, 21 June 2012

50 Strangers Project.. continued


A couple of years ago I decided to challenge myself to photograph fifty strangers' portraits. The rules were simple - I'd approach random people and ask if they minded being photographed, to help build up my confidence and skills in portraiture. Since then I've successfully photographed 32 people (including one zebra and one pop star!) and I aim to make this fifty by the end of the year.

In a way it's actually become harder as the time has gone on, after the nerves of approaching the first stranger I knew I could do it and it's become more of a challenge to try and keep up with it and keep the photographs looking strong. It's definitely a great project to try if you want to improve as a photographer and build up confidence though and surprisingly few people have actually said no to having their picture taken! I really enjoy looking back through the shots and I hope to make a book out of them at the end of the year, just got to keep going! The set so far is here, with a little more information about each person.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. This is a really cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds like such a cool project (and i'm super jealous you met jarvis! :D)! i don't think i'd ever be brave enough to go up to speak to a stranger though, let alone ask to take a picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite scary approaching people, but most people have been really accepting and nice about it :) I've only had a few people say no which is surprising really, i think if you look a bit nervous yourself it puts people at ease hehe! You should do it!

      Delete
  3. I love this! I've wanted to do a project like this for years and never found the nerve (which is crazy as I have to photograph people I don't know for my work quite often - it feels easier when they already know the point of it, though).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea

    Can understand what you mean about approaching people - I've had to do it a lot in my work, but that's almost a little easier because you just put your job hat on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to try this!

    I've photographed that same old guy with the barn owl too :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the snippets about each character you meet. People are so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig