Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Books Q&A

DSC_0627

Janet tagged me today in this book Q&A which I'm only too happy to oblige with, to help get me out of a slight blogging rut that has crept over me lately. I do partly blame the weather as a lot of what I posted revolved around getting out there and photographing things and I just haven't felt like it that much lately. Anyway here goes.. (I may cheat slightly and exclude a few of the questions that I can't answer! And I've tried not to include many graphic novels though they are my usual favourites to read.)


So, the rules:
1. Post these rules
2. Post a photo of your favourite book cover
3. Answer the questions below
4. Tag a few people to pass the Q&A on to: I'm tagging anyone who fancies it :-) Let me know if you do in the comments below.

What are you reading right now?
I just finished How to be a Woman and returned it to the library, swapping it for two travel guides to Croatia where I'm heading in a couple of weeks! I enjoyed HTBAW although I think it started off well and didn't quite keep to the same level (there were a lot of words in CAPITALS too!) Though I do agree with most of her points on how important feminism still is!

What 5 books have you always wanted to read but haven’t got round to?
I actually made a list on my blog here! I'd forgotten some of these actually, it includes It Chooses You by Miranda July, The Color Purple by Alice Walker, plus I'll add on IQ84 by Murakami.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom/lounge right now?
Oh Comely's latest copy has just arrived!

What’s the worst book you’ve ever read?
Ha.. erm! Maybe something by Elizabeth Wurtzel but I'd probably count it as the best at the same time.

What book seems really popular but you actually hated?
I actually didn't enjoy The Lovely Bones that much, I couldn't really get inspired by the characters and the ending got on my nerves a bit. But I know a lot of people adore that book so I'll stop there!

What’s the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?
Blankets by Craig Thompson. Okay it's a graphic novel so I cheated a bit but it's mine & Tom's favourite and I think it's just a very beautiful book. That and Winnie the Pooh...

Where do you usually get your books?
Charity shops, sometimes from Amazon... and the library if they have it!

Where do you usually read your books?
On the bus to work normally, sometimes before bed.

When you were little, did you have any particular reading habits?
I used to be an avid reader when I was a kid, sometimes I pretended to go to sleep when my parents checked on me so they wouldn't notice me staying up all night to finish a book (usually by Enid Blyton...) Yes I was a nerd.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down?
Oh..! It's been some time actually so perhaps it was when I first read Norwegian Wood.

Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover?
Yes many times. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of really! There are some beautiful book covers out there... (vintage ones in particular)

What was your favourite book when you were a child?
When I was quite young I loved anything by Janet & Allen Ahlberg, like Burglar Bill & The Jolly Postman. I also loved the Suitcase Kid by Jacqueline Wilson and The Magic Faraway Tree books by Enid Blyton. And of course Where the Wild Things are (sad to hear the author Maurice Sendak died yesterday, he was such a unique author and very funny in interviews). I still love children's books to this day!

What book changed your life?
This may sound a bit weird but when I first read the Bell Jar it had a big effect on me, I was on holiday with my family as a teenager and suddenly began identifying with Sylvia Plath rather too much!

Who are your top five favourite authors?
George Orwell, Jean Rhys, Francoise Sagan, Craig Thompson, Douglas Coupland maybe too, though I've not read any of his books in years.

What book has no one heard about but should read?
Um perhaps Keep the Aspidistra Flying as people tend to read the more well known ones by Orwell but I really enjoyed this one too.

What are your favourite books by a first-time author?
I liked Bonjour Tristesse by Francoise Sagan & I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith is another favourite of mine. 

What is your favourite classic book?
Probably the Catcher in the Rye.. I don't really read many books written pre-1930s though, oops.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I adored 1Q84, it was one of my best reads this year so far. Definitely read it! I enjoyed How To Be A Woman too, but also noticed ALL THE CAPITALS!!! It's fun to notice almost all of my favourite bloggers that have filled this Q&A in read Oh Comely.

    As for the news about Maurice Sendak...I have no words for how sad I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'll definitely have to search it out then!

    Yes there aren't many good magazines round at the moment really, i used to subscribe to Bust too but it seems to have got a lot thinner over the years which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this - I'm so nosy about what other people's reading habits are! I LOVED Elizabeth Wurtzel's books when I was about 17, not sure reading them did me much good though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to make my own torches out of Smarties tubes so I could read under the covers when I was supposed to be asleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh! this is great! i'm tempted to post mine as well! :)
    and i also still love children's books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Laura! I read Murakami's Norweigen Wood and Dance Dance Dance whilst I was in India, can't believe I had never read any of his stuff before, it's incredible! I like your answers to these questions :-) XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Camille, yes i do love a bit of Murakami. I need to read his new one for sure! I want to hear about your travels!x

      Delete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig