Thursday, 22 March 2012

Books i want to read.

Since my car quite literally blew its gasket a couple of months ago my commute to work has involved getting buses, which gives me a lot more time to read on the way. In addition to the film wishlist I posted up at the start of the week I thought I'd make a similar one about a few books I want to read this year. (Books with nice covers make it higher up on my list!)

books1

1. Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West

The title of this book grabbed me recently when reading a list Bianca posted up of 100 Best First Lines from novels and thought I'd investigate further. The novel details a couple of weeks in the life of an advice-columnist working in depression-era New York. His column is dubbed 'Miss Lonelyhearts' and he grows increasingly depressed by the letters he receives.

2. Baby's in Black by Arne Bellstoff

This was recently recommended on Lizz's blog. Baby's in Black is a graphic novel based on the relationship between the 'fifth Beatle' Stuart Sutcliffe and his girlfriend, photographer Astrid Kirchher.

3. It Chooses You by Miranda July

This has been on my wishlist a while, I'm just waiting for it to come down in price a bit! Miranda July's latest book is about her adventures meeting people who placed ads in the 'Penny Saver.' Along with her photographer friend she documents the journey she made meeting 16 people and the stories they have.

books 2

4. Kiki de Montparnasse by Catel Jose-Luis Bocquet

Another graphic biography, this one is about the life of artist's muse and French model Alice Prin, also known as Kiki de Montparnasse.

5. The Color Purple by Alice Walker

I bought this book a while ago and haven't got around to starting it yet. The Color Purple is a Pulitzer Prize winning novel about an uneducated black women's struggle for power in the deep south.

6. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Strange thinking that Capote's other famous work is so different.. In Cold Blood is a true life story investigating the murder of a family that took place in 1959 and the motives the killers had for their crimes.

If you have read any of the above do let me know!

6 comments:

  1. It Chooses You was the first book I ever cried over! I almost never splurge on hardbacks but, in this case, I'm glad I did.

    Oh, that girl from my high school English class STILL has my copy of The Color Purple. I want it back, Mhairi! I want it back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all have such lovely covers, I'd want them just to admire the designs! The only one I've read is In Cold Blood, which I did enjoy. Top of my 'to get' list at the moment is a graphic novel, Wilson by Daniel Clowes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just seen your message on my blog about Wilson, that would be FAB, thanks Laura! On my way out now but will email you later (think I still have address from when I did a guest post).

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Cold Blood and It Chooses You were two of the best books I read last year! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Cold Blood was okay, though, I'm not a fan of Capote. Even Breakfast at Tiffany's didn't amuse me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. in cold blood is one of my favorite books ever. i also remember enjoying the color purple, but i read it in high school so i can't remember it very well.

    ReplyDelete