Sunday, 19 February 2012

Learning to Lindyhop

Lindyhop class

I have always had a fear of dancing in public. Recently I decided a good way to try and conquer that fear would be to face it head-on and try a dance class. This of course meant dancing in front of people without any form of alcohol to ease me in!

A few of my friends have told me about Lindyhop classes and when I heard there was a beginners class in Sneinton on a Sunday evening I thought it would be a good place to start. Tom didn't seem to need any convincing (he's pretty fearless when it comes to dancing!) so we went along last week with a couple of friends.

Lindyhop began in the 20s, and evolved from the Charleston, accompanying swing or jazz music of the time. In the drop in session we formed a large circle with a partner, danced for a few minutes then moved to the next person in a continuous circle. At first I was terrified I'd never get the moves but after a while I relaxed a bit and it was really fun. Would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in learning, maybe one day we'll even get as good as these folks!


Lindyhop Fundamentals classes start at 5.30pm on Sundays, for £3 at the Old School Hall, Sneinton, Nottingham.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. This sounds pretty fantastic! You're brave for giving it a whirl, huge respect from me!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started Lindyhop just over 5 months ago. I will assure you that things do get better, and before you kwnow it you'll be spinning around with the best of them.
    I'd highly recommend going to any socials that are held outside of class, as these are excellent in learning how to put everything together.

    I hope you enjoy it!
    Swing Katz forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful. Well done for facing your fear :) I really want to go to classes now! Will have to do some research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool!! Amazing. I wish I could dance like that. Maybe I'll try a dance class as well.

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig