Friday, 6 January 2012

Film Friday: Once


I'm not quite sure why it took me a few years to get round to watching this film. Once is the story of a busker in Dublin who meets a big issue seller who persuades him to fix her vacuum cleaner. When he hears her play piano he can't take his eyes off her and they spend a week together making music.

It is a short but sweet film, apparently 60% of which is just music, so it could perhaps be seen as a modern-day musical. However the only thing I found whilst watching was that the songs didn't seem to grow on me and some seemed perhaps a little overblown. Did anyone else find this too?
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I have friends who LOVE this film, but I was totally underwhelmed by it. It seemed a bit too self-consciously worthy and the music didn't do much for me; I just didn't find myself caring about the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think i felt a bit similarly! Maybe it's partly because there was quite a lot of hype around the film when it came out and when i finally watched it i did wonder why!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Everyone I know loves this movie, but I found it a bit boring! I think everyone involved in the film took themselves too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did really enjoy the movie...
    but the same here the music was just Ok

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was a cute film but my mum absolutely loved it and became obsessed and watched it weekly! I found all the songs a bit samey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to disagree, but I loved it. I thought it was a sweet story and I liked the music. Ok, maybe it wasn't THE film, but since I didn't know anything about it, it was a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig