Monday, 5 December 2011

What's on your bookshelf?

shelves in our living room

Back in May I started a series of posts documenting what lies on our huge bookshelves (do you see tom in the picture above? He's busy recording music in his music cupboard!).

A few lovely readers joined in too, and I thought it would be nice to bring the series back for the winter. So here is another shelf from our cabinet, this time containing things I got from my grandmother's house when we were having a clear out when she moved a few months ago. She had to give away quite a lot of books but luckily I rescued a few favourites that needed to be kept.

bookshelf

1 A photo of my grandmother on her 21st birthday, isn't she pretty?

DSC_0166

2 Old Ladybird books

3 I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith - this was recommended to me by my grandmother and I remember reading it when I was younger and really enjoying it. It's now one of my favourite books.

DSC_0168

DSC_0165

4 Swallows & Amazons Series by Arthur Ransome. I loved these stories as a kid and as an adult I think the book covers are so beautiful, they definitely add to the books' charm. These copies belonged to my mother who passed away when I was a teenager. I hope to one day pass them down to someone who appreciates them as much as I do.

5 Painted stones. These were painted by my mum, there is quite a collection of bits and bobs she created. She was brilliant at art and hopefully I inherited a bit of her creativity too.

***

Would you like to contribute to the bookshelf series? If so just leave me a comment or email.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Your bookshelf is packed full of lovely gems! I hope I manage to get myself one when I move out. It's packed full of character and your grandmother is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am oh so jealous of how big your bookshelf is. Looks like it's full of lovely things aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely collection - and the photo of your grandmother is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an adorable collection! And how cool is this bookshelf?!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bookshelf! And yes your grandmother was indeed very pretty.

    I'd love to contribute my shelf to the project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely big bookshelf! My dream is to organize our books sos that anyone can find what they are looking for. Get a place for every book, instead of keeping the newest in boxes. I love the Swallows and Amazons books, learnt to know them just a few years ago. I would have loved them as a child too.

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig