Thursday, 3 November 2011

Dragonflies: The Story of a House

In September this year my grandmother moved out of the house she'd lived in since she first got married. I wanted to make something to document the years spent in this house, (which she named 'Dragonflies' after her favourite creatures that lived by the pond there). So I decided to draw a comic about the memories of Dragonflies, using a phone call to my Nan as a starting point. I am giving it to her for her birthday this weekend, I really hope she likes it. I still need to bind it and add colour, but here is the comic as it stands. It makes me sad thinking we'll never go back to the house but at the same time it's been really amazing to hear my Nan's memories and to document the great times we had there growing up. [If you have trouble reading it just click the image and you can view larger on flickr, sorry about that!]

Dragonflies page 1 - The Story of a House


Dragonflies - The Story of a House

Dragonflies - The Story of a House

Dragonflies - The Story of a House

Dragonflies - The Story of a House
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. your comics are really great... and thats a very very sweet present:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! That made me feel very teary indeed! What a brilliant present!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so beautiful. I know your granny will truly love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's absolutely lovely! how could she not adore it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, what an absolutely gorgeous way to document the special memories from the years your Nan spent in 'Dragonflies'. So precious! I love that your Grandad spent 11 years building an extension. And I love that your Nan feels that "they are happy there and I'm happy here". And I love your drawings.
    Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet Laura, she will love it xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely! It reminds me of my Aunty and uncle who've lover in the same house for 50 years. I think she'll love it. C.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah thanks for the kind comments :) I started colouring it last night! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a nice idea and it's looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful Laura. And very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely beautiful Laura and so thoughtful. She'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is the sweetest loveliest thing! I love it! I’m sure she will treasure it :) Have a fab weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, this is BEAUTIFUL! You did an incredible job

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig