Monday, 21 November 2011

Guilty Pleasure Movies

Home Alone 2 Macaulay Culkin

Recently I bought a DVD from the charity shop, I won't divulge the name of it for now (clue: it stars John Travolta and Bruce Willis, but it's not Pulp Fiction..) I'll just say I wasn't overly proud of my purchase. But it made me wonder what it is about some films that turns them into 'guilty pleasures'.

There are some films from childhood that I still love, and don't seem to cross over into 'guilty' territory. The Princess Bride, Big, My Girl and Home Alone are still brilliant, but others... (Turner & Hooch?) seem to fall into the guilty category. I remember as a kid my brother loved Mission Impossible and was dead proud of the fact he had watched it a whopping 32 times. But then tastes change over the years!

Maybe a good way of judging whether a film should be classed as a guilty pleasure would be how highly it's rated on IMDB. Anything less than a 6 doesn't seem too good... My Girl would scrape by with a 6.4, whereas Look Who's Talking (my guilty purchase) only gets 5.6. But I enjoyed it anyway! Another category would be the genre commonly known as 'chick flicks' - Dirty Dancing, Pretty Woman.. both pretty enjoyable still, I reckon! Sex & the City 2? The 3.9 score is about right.

Do you have any guilty pleasure films to add to the list? Or should we just be proud of all the films we enjoy?
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Home Alone and A Muppet Christmas Carol are my guilty pleasures at this time of year. Plus really cheesy teen comedies: I love She's The Man and Bring It On, they never fail to put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never feel guilty about enjoying "bad" films - we all need a bit of mindless feelgood now and then! I only ever feel guilty about inflicting them on my boyfriend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the aforementioned brother who watched Mission: Impossible 32 times. It's funny - I can still watch and enjoy that film because it still triggers my enjoyment on some level. But it doesn't have the same emotional impact of a really 'good' film, like Taxi Driver (for me), which I've probably also seen about 30 times.

    I think a lot of it depends on how old you were when you first watched the guilty pleasure and the impression it made it on you at the time. That's what lasts, even if your intellect sees how bad it is in hindsight.

    Which reminds me - I need to watch 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids' again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've watched home alone soo many times and it's still one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love look who's talking lol, I wouldn't say a guilty pleasure, though I can understand why some would say it is.

    Mine is independance day, I used to watch it with my sister all the time and we loved it. Also sister act, both of them... amazing!

    p.s. christmas films dont count as guilty pleasures surely? I just recorded home alone 2 for December and I cant wait to watch it :)

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig