Monday, 10 October 2011

On band photography

9

Last week I took some photos of Tom's (relatively new) band, Nordenfelt. I went along to their rehearsal and took some shots there and we also took some fun ones with some home-made signs made a few weeks before.

I'm still learning with my photography but I thought I'd share a few things I've learnt about taking band photos so far:

  • Don't be afraid to direct people! I found that the band were only too willing to stand in certain places and seemed to welcome a bit of direction (even though I'm not that comfortable asking people to do things!)
  • A tripod is super handy!
  • But a wide angle lense would be even handier when taking live shots in small spaces. Sadly I don't own one but I did take a few photos with my fisheye camera, I'll wait and see how they come out!
  • Most of all have fun! Try out different locations and angles and take as many pictures as you can as it's invariably rather difficult to get everyone looking right in the same picture!
Do any of you have experience taking photos of bands? I'd love to know your thoughts!

10

balcony

Baby grand

Ali & Tom in guitar face off

6 comments:

  1. The signs worked out as an awesome accessory. Love the very first shot, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome!! Is that bonington btw, i recognise the giant whiteness and chairs?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really cool photos:) it looks really really really nice!!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! new it looked familiar, the crazy maze building! Random question - any ideas where to buy cheap old keys in nottingham, for someone who doesnt drive?!

    ReplyDelete