Friday, 5 August 2011

Film Friday: Return to Oz


I didn't actually watch a film this week so instead I thought I'd mention one of my favourite childhood films, Return to Oz. If you haven't seen it let me explain a few things.. firstly it's made by Disney which may imply that it's an innocent fairy tale version of Oz -quite the opposite! The film used to scare me as a child as it begins with Dorothy visiting a mental hospital for electro-shock treatment after she keeps having nightmares about Oz. Later we have the Wheelers, evil characters who really terrified me as a child! And Mombi, a witch who has a collection of different heads she's stolen from other pretty girls. It's pretty dark but still remains one of my childhood favourites and stars Fairuza Balk as Dorothy, who later starred in the Craft.

SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Oh my gosh I'm with you regarding the Wheelers. My brother used to do a horrible impression of them that would have me in tears until Wheeler impressions were banned in the house!

    I'd forgotten all about the heads collection though, clearly I need to give this another watch. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much about this film used to freak me out and actually still does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This film scared the hell out of me as a kid, and I still can't watch it to this day! So freaky!!

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig