Thursday, 2 June 2011

What's on your bookshelf? - by Amy

Another lovely person has been in touch to share what's on her bookshelves. Amy does bits & bobs for my favourite mag Oh Comely (have been enjoying the latest issue!), designs t-shirts and has a pretty blog over here.

IMG_0984

1. This particular bookshelf is a recent development - having just moved in with my boyfriend we discovered that combining our books needed a larger space than we'd anticipated. However, it's still not big enough! We currently rent in London so unfortunately we don't have the space to have a shelving unit that covers an entire wall (my dream is to ultimately have a small library in my house).

IMG_0985

2. I'm a big fan of classic literature, which is top shelf material in my opinion. Two of my most treasured books here are gifts from my closest friends - the first, a beautiful embossed copy of 'Pride & Prejudice'. The second, Donna Tartts 'A Secret History', is what I would call a modern classic. It unravels a little more each time I read it, which is one of the elements I love in a well written novel. Upon opening the first page you'll find a message from my friend, "A good story when you're still creating your own".

IMG_0986

3. You'd be forgiven if at first glance, you assumed all of these comic books belonged to the boy. This is one of the places where our tastes mix so well as we're both unashamedly geeks at heart! There's also a few vintage pieces here, alongside illustrated books - my favourites are Rob Ryans 'This Is For You' which was a Christmas present from Charlie, and Love Sick which is a brilliant and quirky book I found in a charity shop at the top of our street.

IMG_0987

4. This shelf is a little odd with no real system other than it's filled with books I'm currently reading or have yet to read. It basically acts as my bedside table as we had to make room for the bookshelf! I'd also describe this shelf as the one which perhaps gives the most insight into my tastes, jumping from the hilarious 'Scott Pilgrim' comics, to the classic 'Moby Dick', to 'Kirstie's Homemade Home'. This is also where you'll find 'Submarine' by Joe Dunthorne which is what I am currently reading.

IMG_0988

5. As well as literature, I am also a big fan of music. It sort of baffles me when people aren't (in the same way I can't comprehend why some people don't devour books). There is nothing better than listening to vinyl, especially with artists like Johnny Cash and Simon & Garfunkel. One of my favourite records here is Blondie's 'Parallel Lines' - it never fails to put a smile on my face!

6. Last but by no means least, the bottom shelf. Crammed with a more hardcore selection of 'geek' books which the boy and I have accumulated over the last 5 years. There are web design and coding books for work, more illustration (Hand Job, A Catalog Of Type is one of my favourites here) and more than a few sneaker/trainer/kicks based books as Charlie collects them.

IMG_0989

Thanks to the lovely Laura for taking a peek amongst my bookshelf - I hope you and your readers enjoy it!
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I do enjoy this feature Laura! A bookshelf reveals so much! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is about tha books but I can`t help admiring
    the teapot pillow cases....

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way- I have a challenge in my blog that might interest you : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. demie - the pillow cases are from Laura Ashley (I have them in both colours!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sending you my bookshelves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kate, i love peeking at them as well :)

    Demie - that challenge looks good, although i'm not that good at keeping up with things every day!

    Andrea - yay can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, and cute flowery bedspread! I was planning to send you my bookshelves, but they're so unitidy at the moment it's embarrasing! Love reading about other people's though :)

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig