Thursday, 16 June 2011

Blackout Night

Magic lights

Recently Tom and I have realised we have far too many screens on in our house on in the evening.. with laptops, TV and iPods it's hard to get away from the constant glare. So we decided to try a 'no electricity' night, switching off our laptops and getting back to reality!

Early evening

Candles replaced lights and gave our flat a lovely cosy feeling. I learnt how to play a bit of a beirut song on tom's ukulele, wrote a letter to my grandma, drew a comic and experimented with my camera on its manual setting, using my tripod for the first time in ages. It was a great evening and so relaxing, I think we'll make it a weekly occurence!

Candlelight

Drawing

Drawing by the fireplace

Magic
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. That's such a great idea. I think I need to take a leaf out of your book and do the same one evening! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea- I hate it when we have to many screens on in my place too. I especially hate it when nobody is watching any of the T.V's.

    I bet that even with just one night a week electricity free,you'll notice the difference in your electricity bill.

    Might just convince my family to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea! Your pictures are beautiful
    PS: I love Beirut!
    Gaelle
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic idea! and it sounds like you had a great evening too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a great idea! I think I will have to enforce this when we move out...if I can cope ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I just wrote about this myself. Me and my hubs are trying to get out more this summer and do active, memory-making things together, rather than zoning out in front of our screens. Check it out here: http://nothipenoughtoblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/technology-and-our-marriage.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were without power (tornados)for a week earlier in the spring. We spent every day outside with our super cool neighbors. We played board games, read books and magazines, painted nails, drew with sidewalk chalk, played yard games, took amazing photographs and *gasp* we even talked! It was eye-opening to see how much time is wasted on things like television, video games and pecking on our iPhones.
    Congrats on cutting it all off and just "being".

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig