Sunday, 8 May 2011

What's on your bookshelf? - part 1

bookshelf1

One of the best things about moving to the Convent a few months ago was inheriting this huge bookshelf. It takes up the whole wall of our living room, so we've enjoyed filling it up with all sorts of things, from old cameras to stacks of comic books. Whenever I visit someone I always have a bit of a nosy through their bookshelves so I thought it'd be fun to share some recommendations from some of our own . (Tom's bits are in blue.)

DSC_6398

1 Leonard Cohen's greatest hits - I bought this recently from a record shop on Mansfield Rd, it seemed a good album to have on vinyl, (plus I don't actually have it on cd!) perfect for rainy days with a hot chocolate.

2 Hall & Oates - I Can't Go for That 7" - I bought this as a gift for Tom as H&O are one of his favourite 80s acts, and who can blame him?

3 Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi - In case you're not familiar with the story, Persepolis is a graphic novel about Satrapi's childhood, growing up in Iran during the revolution in the 1980s. It's a funny and moving tale, and I'd recommend both the film and the book as both are very similar in style.

4 You Get So Alone at Times That It Just Makes Sense by Charles Bukowski - My friend, Aaron, first introduced me to Charles Bukowski when he came to visit Nottingham from London a few years ago. I'd heard the name before, mainly from interviews with Tom Waits. He showed me the poem 'The Shower' and it really moved me just how personal and quiet the poem was. I looked into his work and got a few books and fell in love with them! My favourite poem is called 'Dog'; when life is way waaaay too complicated, it's nice to realise that it doesn't have to be!;

'a single dog
walking alone on a hot sidewalk of
summer
appears to have the power
of ten thousand gods.
why is this?'

5 I Never Liked You by Chester Brown - I bought this quite a while ago, when i was going through my Jeffery Brown phase! I loved how sparse the artwork was, and the story (autobiographical story about Chester Brown's first crush) is a really well remembered retelling of the awkwardness of growing up.

6 Maus by Art Spiegelman - If you've never read a graphic novel I'd definitely recommend this one. Maus is a story about the Holocaust, as told by the author's father. The Jews are depicted as mice, the Nazis as cats. It's the kind of book that makes you want to continue reading, and the only graphic novel to win the Pulitzer prize.

7 Epileptic by David B - Epileptic is an autobiographical graphic novel about David B's life with his epileptic brother. The artwork is stunning, as he tells the story using magical imagery.

* Oh, if any of you guys would like to do a guest post on the same theme just drop me an email! I thought it'd be good to have a series of shelves from around the world.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh I love this idea! I always like a good nosy of bookshelves. Unfortunately at the moment mine are so so messy. I love the bookshelves in your living room, they are a real centre piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shelves are amazing! And I love that idea - I'll drop you a line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea, love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It seems like you're left with quite a few great classics. I think my own bookshelf needs a bit of a revamp, actually.

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelves are one of my greatest joys in life, and it makes me sad seeing the contents of mine slowly disappearing into boxes!

    PS I spy a travelling journal :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw brodie, how's the packing going? Well spotted on the travelling journal :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post! I'd love to partake, will dorp you a line. I have Persepolis n my shelves too but haven't yet watched it. Next day off I shall! AMAZING bookshelf, so jealous. You wait til you see the orange monstrosity I inherited in my flat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a good idea.
    I love Maus, it makes me cry though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bookshelves are stunning! So jealous you have all that space. Great idea for a post series too.

    ReplyDelete