Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Record Bowl Tutorial!

Bananarama bowl

Last weekend we had a vinyl party in our new home, in which we listened to lots of old records with friends, so I thought it'd be fun to make a record bowl to put snacks inside. It was really easy to make, here's how:

stage 1

1. Preheat your oven to about 225 C, remember to ventilate your kitchen by opening a window

2. Place your (unwanted - i chose bananarama, apologies fans..) record on top of an upside-down ovenproof bowl and put inside the oven for a few minutes.

stage 2

3. Keep a watch on it and after 3-5 mins it should start to melt

4. Put on some oven gloves (although its not really that hot) and get the record out, then shape into a glass/metal bowl. The record will go hard again quite fast so you have to be quick!

5. Wait to cool, give it a rinse and ta-da! You can use them for snacks, sweets or even plant pot holders.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Lovely tutorial, i always wondered how one makes one! Poor Bananarama though :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello that's cool!
    maybe you can make little bowls for cornflakes or snacks with 7" singles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes i wanted to get some 7"s but the charity shops I went in didn't seem to sell them, i can look in vintage shops at the weekend though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny, I made one of these last Sunday, The little singles work well too, very cute! Are you worried about the toxicness...I was wondering if it would ruin the look to varnish them!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to have to try it! I bet I can find some unwanted records somewhere lol. Thomas would kill me if I used one of his!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cool! And my dad has a few boxes of damaged records in the shed, I am going to steel some tomorrow and make these into a cake stand style dislpay rack for hair goodies and jewelry!

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig