Thursday, 18 November 2010

Film Thursday: Another Year (+ two!)


Last night i watched the latest film by Mike Leigh, Another Year. The film centres around 4 seasons in the year of a happily married couple's life, in which they are visited by numerous friends and relatives who all have their own personal problems. Mike Leigh is known for quite gritty and sometimes slightly depressing films, but this one has quite a few funny moments, as well as some sadder ones.


The 'Winter' part of the film (which is also the saddest, erk) is shot in Derby near where I grew up (in fact my dad's friends who own our old house were approached by the film makers, who offered them money to shoot in the house but in the end it was a bit too modernised inside to use!)

~~~


Also this week I watched a couple of other good films, He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (above), starring Audrey Tatou (recommended by Jane!) about a woman who falls in love with a doctor, but all is not quite as it seems, as the second half of the film reveals.


... and My Left Foot, which won Daniel Day Lewis an Oscar for his performance as Christy Brown, an artist suffering from cerebral palsy. It was a really inspiring film to watch.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I really want to see that Mike Leigh film. I absolutely loved Happy Go Lucky. I hadn't heard of that Audrey Tatou film yet either so thanks for bringing it to my attention. It's bound to be good if Audrey's in it!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Audrey Tautou! She was really good in "He Loves Me He Loves Me Not", but my absolute favorite starring her (besides "Amelie" of course) is "Dirty Pretty Things".

    I mean, how wild would that be to play a different nationality in a completely different language (she speaks English throughout the entire film)? And, the movie itself is great. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig