Thursday, 30 September 2010

Film Thursday: Now and Then


There are a couple of reason I put this film onto my Lovefilm list! Firstly a couple of friends said they watched it when they were younger and loved it, and secondly I read it was like a female version of Stand By Me, one of my favourite films so I thought I'd give it a go!


The story is a bit similar to Stand by Me as it is about a group of friends who look back on their friendship at 12 years old and the summer they investigated the death of "Dear Johnny"...

The young cast were ace and i really loved the 1970s bicycles (one even had a little stereo attached to the front basket, i need one of these!) However the "grown-up" versions of them were totally different to their younger selves and were rather annoying so I was glad they didn't feature for the majority of the film! Christina Ricci turns into Rosie Donnell (hmm) and Thora Birch into Melanie Griffith which didn't quite ring true.

SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Now and Then is one of my favourite films of all time! My sisters and I were obsessed with it growing up and my mother- being the 60s music nut that she is (honestly, do parents just stop listening to new music after they turn 20?)- had us singing along to the soundtrack. I actually listened to it last night. It's perfect to sing along to while you do homework.

    Also, I like revisiting movies like this when I'm older and can appreciate Janeane Garofalo, Chloris Leachman and how Rosie O'Donnell's Roberta is a lesbian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this movie! I remember watching this movie at a sleepover with my best friends because Mum suggested it, and we were so scared in some parts, even though it was completely ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I couldn't remember the name of this film but I absolutely loved it as a kid! I'm downloading it today. Thanks!! You're still my blog soulmate haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah this film has so many happy memories for me! It was the first time my friends and I went to the cinema together without parents... I guess I was12 or so and it was the biggest adventure! Naturally I also consumed more popcorn and coke and sweets than my parents would have let me hve too, so I was feeling very sick from about thirty minutes in....!

    Thanks for the happy happy blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete
  5. O M G! I loved loved this film...I'm too scared to watch it now i'm a grown up because I might not like it and it would ruin my memories! In my brain the soundtrack is pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig