Monday, 5 October 2009

My Top 5 Comics!



..or Graphic novels if you prefer! Aha, a chance for me to be all geeky! Inspired by Erika's recent post about Ghost World, here's my top comics that I urge everyone to read..

5. Maus by Art Spiegelman - the story of the Holocaust as retold by the author's grandpa, where Nazis are cats and the Jews are mice.


4 Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The film is also a good alternative to the book, this really opened my eyes up to the suffering in Iran during the uprising in the 1980s. And it's funny and sweet as well!


3. Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

The first comic I ever read.. I really wanted to be Enid when I first read it, ha!
The film's good but the book's better.


2. Clumsy / Unlikely by Jeffrey Brown

I love all the intimate relationship comics by Jeffrey Brown.

1. Blankets by Craig Thompson

This is such an epic but really worth the read.. the most beautiful graphic novel out there. The artwork's amazing.


If anyone out there has any others to recommend, I'd love to hear it.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. What a great list! The Fixer by Joe Sacco is one I would recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ghost World and Persepolis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to read Clumsy and Unlikely for a long time! I love all the others you listed. I have a stack to get through so I'll come back and give you some recommendations when I finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For whatever reason I've never read Ghost World, but our numbers One and Two definitely line up. I'm not sure if the other two would make my top five or not, but they're certainly well respected. I loved Jimmy Corrigan by Chris Ware, and the complete Bone has a place in my heart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Persopolis and Blankets. I actually saw Craig Thompson (and Neil Gaiman - yes, it was awesome) at a library conference which got me more interested in graphic novels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh i keep meaning to read Jimmy Corrigan, but the small panels have been putting me off!

    Lollygagger- i would love to meet Craig Thompson! Wow.

    I wanted to put in something by Adrian Tomine as well but I wasnt sure which book to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maus is one of my favourite books, bar none.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic list! I've read all of these except for Ghost World...I know, I know, I should really read it.

    Going off of the comments here, I second you reading Jimmy Corrigan! It's crazy. I'd also recommend Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine and the Scott Pilgrim series, fer sure! Oh, oh, and Peter Bagge's Hate series. Man, those are good - they're such a great reflection of the '90s.

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig