Sunday, 24 May 2009

Ingela Arrhenius Interview - Part 2

Above: An illustration for You Magazine by Ingela Arrhenius

Here is the 2nd part of our interview with vintage-inspired illustrator Ingela Arrhenius. I loved hearing about some of the illustrators from the 50s and 60s who have inspired her work.

3. How do you find time to balance family life with your job?
I feel that I´m privileged because I have a studio that is really close to where I live and my husband just quit his TV-job and is now a freelance writer so we arent that stressed in our lives. And the kids' school is around the corner. BUT I feel that I sometimes miss the focus that I don´t have any more now when I have other things in my life that means so much to me. I wish I had more time so that I could do more projects on my own and experiment more.


Above: Some photos taken around Sweden by Ingela that feature on her blog

4. What's the best thing about living in Stockholm? Is it a good place for design?

It´s a good place! It´s beautiful and people are very interested in design. Maybe it´s a bit standardized. I haven´t been to New York for 10 years now but I remember that it was SO inspiring with all the different impressions and styles, if you understand what I mean.

5. What other artists/illustrators do you admire?

I admire both contemporary illustrators such as Calef Brown, J Otto Seibold (author of the brilliant pop up book version of Alice in Wonderland, shown above), Lane Smith, Jockum Nordström. And I love many French childrens' book illustrators like Marc Boutavant. And illustrators from the past: Alain Gree, Jim Flora, Mary Blair, Alice and Martin Provensen, Paul Rand, Roger Duvoisin, Olle Eksell etc etc. To be honest I am not so updated with contemporary illustrators as you maybe notice.


Above: Characters designed by Marc Boutavant


Above: Illustration by Alain Gree

Above: A new book about the work of Jim Flora from the 40s to the 90s

Above: A book spread by Mary Blair
- Thanks Ingela!
SHARE:

2 comments

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig