Saturday, 6 December 2008

Andrea Joseph Interview: Part 2



Here's the second part of our interview with illustrator Andrea Joseph. Third part coming up tomorrow!

What materials do you use in your work?

I use traditional materials, inks and pencils. I love biros and ballpoint pens. I love the idea of creating a piece of work, especially an elaborate piece of work, out of something so cheap. There’s something really appealing, to me, about the idea of making something out of nothing. And, boy, can I make something out of nothing. On all sorts of levels.

What’s your favourite personal project to date?

Hmmmm. I can’t think of any specific project. There are individual drawings that I’d call favourites, but not whole projects. Projects usually end up being love/hate affairs.


As for favourite drawings they are the ones that either take me by surprise or where I achieve exactly what I set out to achieve.


There is something really satisfying about seeing a picture in your head and then being able to put it down on paper. Both the ‘Cross Section of a Tall Hat’ (above) and the ‘Johnny Cash’ (above, top) drawing are examples of that. I knew exactly what they would look like before I even put pen to paper.


I also love it when you sit down with no conscious idea of what you want to draw, you play around with your pen and something quite unexpected turns up at the page. Examples of that are the ‘Hatpin’ drawing and the ‘Oldschool Desk’ (both below.)


Of course, I’m forgetting the ongoing Moleskine exchange project that I am involved in. That is a project that makes me happy. It adds a whole new dimension to your work when you are working alongside others. As illustration can often be a lonely game. And, to be working with this group of artists is an honour and a privilege.



And, my first Moleskine (the Sepia One), which I have just finished, is a project I am proud of. Still, I am not completely happy with it. Maybe I’ll feel different when there is more time between us, but then I don’t know whether I’ll ever be truly happy. I don’t know whether it’s the same for all artists, but, for me, I think that’s what keeps me going in some twisted way. Always trying to make it better next time. Always trying to get it right, knowing that it never will be. It’s obsessional. And, I can love and hate it at the same time.


But, you know, thinking about it, I suppose that my blog is actually my favourite project of all. Yeah. My whole blog. So thanks for that, I now know the answer to that question!

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Love this question about one's favorite project! This is a tough one. It's interesting seeing what Andrea's favorite pieces are and, boy, I so understand the feeling of never beeing "completely happy with a project"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that interview! I mentioned you in the blog post "Die grüne Wintermütze" - http://www.notizbuchblog.de/2009/12/19/die-grune-wintermutze/

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig