Sunday, 23 November 2008

Illustrator of the Week No. 14: Samantha Hahn + Interview



Recently stumbled upon some lovely work by Brooklynite Samantha Hahn, who produces some lovely illustrations for the likes of Glamour Magazine and Hallmark as well as some great pattern designs, more of which can be seen on her site here. Samantha has kindly agreed to answer a few questions about her work, following on from Maral Sassouni's insight into her artwork last month.




1 How did you get started in illustration?
I was born into it! My mom was an illustrator. I got to use her old drawing table. I've always loved to draw and paint. In high school I did school concert playbills and illustrations for the school newspaper, my band flyers, and lots of notebook doodles during math class. It was inevitable that I'd go to to study illustration in college and earn my B.F.A. Then I went for an M.A in art education and became an art teacher. For years after college I did oil paintings but found that arduous and unfulfilling. So I came back to illustration within the last couple of years and have joined a wonderful community of bloggers and artists through posting about my work and inspirations on Maquette.




2 What are your inspirations?
I have so many: Nature, love, lust, beauty, youth, fear, the color peach....



3 What materials do you use in your work?

My favorite materials are simply micron pens. I also love doc Martin concentrated inks. It's been a while but oil paint can be so luscious too. I'm a fast worker and love immediacy so I'm mostly drawns to pens these days.


4 What is your favourite personal project to date?
To me whether I'm doing a personal or commercial project creating the work is catharsis. I think people think a big difference between illustration and "fine art" is that illustrators are portraying someone else's idea but I believe that anything an artist creates with their hand is emotional and representative of their perspective or feelings. I don't care if I'm drawing a pretty face, or the inside of my soul, the process is what excites me. So to make a long answer more concise, I love drawing in my sketchbook. Sometimes I think it's important to have work that I don't seek to share. As an illustrator and blogger I often share every mark I make. My work gets published and I post it on my blog so the work in my sketchbook does not have to fulfill any goal other than my personal need to put a mark on the paper.

5 What other illustrators and artists' work do you admire?
I love:




John Singer Sargent (see above)...oh there are so many...

- Thanks, Samantha!

1 comment: