Tuesday, 29 July 2008

Illustrator of the Week no 5: Craig Thompson


I decided to post about an old favourite of mine, comic artist cum illustrator Craig Thompson. Thompson is author of the beautiful epic Blankets, a graphic novel detailing his childhood and first love. It is a really beautifully illustrated book, so I'd recommend reading it; although it is quite long it's very rewarding!

Thompson also has a blog, Doot Doot Garden, where he regularly posts excerpts from his sketchbooks and updates on how his forthcoming book, Habibi is coming along. I love the sketches he does of his female friends in particular (shown above under an image from Blankets).




Another book of his I love is Carnet de Voyage, which I just bought for a friend who is going travelling soon in Spain and Morocco. Inside are sketches done whilst Thompson was on his travels during a comic tour. I might start carrying my sketch book around more so I can draw random cats curled in the shade or pretty trees in the park.
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. great blog and your illustrator idea is fab - will pop back

    ReplyDelete

© make do and mend | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig